Friday, November 18, 2011

Charm Evolution

Charmed



Practice makes perfect.  The phrase is constantly regurgitated.  When you are learning a new skill, this is one of the most annoying phrases I know.  You are fumbling.  Nothing is going your way.  Giving up seems like the best option.  Then one day, it clicks.  You conquered the skill and you are ready to proudly display it.  All the times you spent in doubt were almost meaningless.  You begin to realize that practice does make perfect.  The phrase rings true.  You no longer despise it.  Instead you embrace it.  You walk up to someone trying to learn something new.  What do you say to them?  "Practice makes perfect!"

Learning a new skill is challenging.  It takes a lot of time to be awesome at whatever it is you do.  This relates to every field imaginable.  Struggling is a part of learning.  It helps us grow.  

The bracelet above is my example of learning and growing.  I knew I wanted to work with links, chains, and beads.  Inexperience was not going to hold me back.  I had to try to find out if I could make something beautiful using this technique.  Looking at my seed beads and oval-shaped silver jump rings, I had an idea.  Did my idea work?  Well not exactly.  The piece is interesting but not structurally sound.  I needed a better technique. 

Black and White
Rainbow Kid

What is a new designer to do?  Her research of course.  The internet is amazing.  As a self-taught jewelry designer, it has become my greatest friend.  I found a video on YouTube showing how to make a bead loop.  I decided to try again.  It was almost Christmas.  We did not have a countdown calendar.  Using a little imagination, my daughter Crystal and I created our very own.  I was able to practice this technique by using beads in the project.  Plus, I gained a new piece of artwork I will always treasure because I made it with my little girl.

I continued to practice days after.  My loops did not feel right though.  I struggled holding the round-nose pliers.  My wrists would begin to cramp.  There has to be a better way.  My first copy of BeadStyle Magazine showed up in the mail.  Every page was filled with the most beautiful jewelry I had ever seen.  Oh yes, I felt intimidated.  I envied their skill until I realized, they all had to struggle first before being able to make their jewelry, just like me.  I can be that good too.  Practice makes perfect.  

BeadStyle Magazine lead me to a video showing how to make a simple loop.  I carefully observed the demonstration. She showed how to correctly use the pliers by twisting away from you.  I was twisting it towards me.  Incorrect technique caused my wrists to hurt.  She also showed how to get a perfect loop every time. My mistake was not visually marking my place on the pliers to create the same sized loops for each bead.  I was enlightened.

Anxious, I grabbed all of my materials.  I placed a bead onto a headpin and made my loop.  I could have cried.  The loop was perfectly round.  My wrists did not hurt.  I finally knew the proper technique to make a simple loop.  It felt amazing! I was one step closer to making the jewelry piece I always wanted to make.  

After practicing some more, I decided to make a bracelet.  Chains, links, and beads were sprawled out in front of me.  I glanced at another piece I had made and decided to break it down for the silver hoops.  My inspiration took charge.



The bracelet was finished.  I could hardly believe my eyes.  'I created this?!'  It looked just like I had envisioned it.  Silver with a lovely mix of blue beads, my first real charmed creation was complete.  I felt accomplished.

The best part about being a new jewelry artist are moments like these.  I know I have a lot to learn and many challenges ahead.  The journey has already been fun.  I wonder where else it will take me.  As I continue down my road, I will cherish my new favorite phrase: Practice makes perfect!




Here is a link to 'Basic Loops' from Beaducation: http://www.beaducation.com/vids/watch_class/22



I am on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lilly-Rose-Jewelry-Designs/171869306163213
 And I am on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/LillyRoseJD
Buy Lilly Rose Jewelry @ http://www.etsy.com/shop/LillyRoseJD
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog!
Don't hesitate to leave a comment or question

No comments:

Post a Comment