Sunday, November 6, 2011

Beginning Design



In this photo is the second necklace I had ever made.  I began my jewelry hobby back in 2008.  It was an interesting year for me.  My days were busy.  I was working full time in a factory while I was going to school so I could provide a better life for my family.  My hard work paid off when I was accepted into the Dental Hygiene program.    This program is not one for the weak.  It was very stressful especially when you are working full-time along with it.  On top of it all, I had a small child at home.  It was rough.  I needed stress-relief.  This is how I found my jewelry hobby.   
I stopped into Michaels with an old gift card and started looking around.  I found myself standing in front of a huge display with many dangling, sparkly beads.  They were beautiful.  All different colors, shapes, and sizes.  I wanted to buy all of them.  Fascinated, I went back home and did some research.  What do I need to make a piece of jewelry?  What are the techniques?  What tools do I need?  Once I had my basic questions answered I headed back to the store gleefully.  I knew what I needed;  a basic tool starting kit, a couple of boxes of glass beads, wire, a bead board, crimp beads, and some clasps.  I rushed home to try it out.
Now, I was not a natural.  I had troubles with the crimp beads.  My designs would go crashing onto the table.  Beads were rolling everywhere.  This was not great stress-relief in the beginning. I was not about to give up though.  I kept trying and trying.  I did not get the technique down until my husband, Rob, grabbed the piece from me.  He picked it up and began looking at it.  He then picked up the direction sheet and worked his magic.  He walked over to the couch, sat down, and tried it.  I went into the other room frustrated. Ten minutes later, he called for me.  The clasp was attached perfectly.  The crimp looked wonderful.  He was much better than me with this.  My wonderful husband showed me the correct technique.  I remember how happy I was the first time I accomplished this first technique.  I excitedly grabbed more beads and wire to make another piece.  That next piece is the necklace shown above.
From this point, jewelry making became fun.  I began trying different styles and mixing different types of beads.  I gave away my earlier pieces to my family.  They loved them.  I started getting compliments on my designs.  It made me feel good to know someone else loved my designs as much as I did.  This necklace helped spawn my new passion.  I am glad I never gave up.    


I am on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lilly-Rose-Jewelry-Designs/171869306163213
 And I am on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/LillyRoseJD
Buy Lilly Rose Jewelry @ http://www.etsy.com/shop/LillyRoseJD
Thank you for taking the time to read my blog!
Don't hesitate to leave a comment or question.

No comments:

Post a Comment